Saturday, February 26

Wuthering Heights Movie Review


Length: 105 mins
Released: 1992 (UK)
Genre: Drama, Romance
Rating: PG, some violence
Directed By: Peter Kosminsky
Where I Got It: Borrowed it from Library


This is the 1992 movie version of the classic novel 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte. Ralph Fiennes plays Heathcliff and Juliette Binoche playes not only Cathy, but Cathy's daughter Catherine (a little baffling). I've seen many versions, but I've always wanted to see this version, however the film kept eluding me. Maybe it was meant for me to make a review and post to you all. Who knows. The fates are funny like that.

 "Heathcliff is Cathy Earnshaw's foster brother; more than that, he is her other half. When forces within and without tear them apart, Heathcliff wreaks vengeance on those he holds responsible, even into a second generation"


Well, officially this has become my second favorite version, my first will probably always be the 2009 version with Tom Hardy (yum). However, I was HIGHLY pleased with this film. It had all the characters in it and the second generation being part of Heathcliff's revenge. In a lot of movies they just seem to "forget" about Cathy #2, Hareton, and Linton Heathcliff. I loved how they used many of the same quotes from the book. They had Heathcliff be mean and heartless at certain points, which was what he was suppose to be like. However, they made him into a bad guy that you feel sorry for. I loved it. They made the characters seem real and believable. Even grumpy-old Heathcliff, who is full of hate.

  
                                                                                                          Ralph Fiennes was a wonderful Heathcliff. He was cold, bitter, angry, and completely and utterly in love with Cathy. He played the character the way he was suppose to be played. Also, he is a hunk. Besides that, great job Ralph! Now Juliette Binoche played both the wild and vain Cathy and Cathy#2. I enjoyed her performance, she did wonderful as Cathy#2 better than the first Cathy. Cathy is suppose to turn vain, however she played her as if she didn't care about the nice things. It's hard to explain. She played her too innocent too. The perfect Cathy was Merle Oberon in the 1939 version. But now Cathy#2 is a completely different story. Juliette played her to a key. Sweet, but has a touch of wild in her, not much. She's more a Linton then a Earnshaw. Besides that, all the characters were represented wonderfully.

          I would have to grant this movie 5 stars! Yayy! Wooo! Everyone who loves this novel or just loves a good movie should track this movie down and watch it. I think I may even buy it...

              


No comments: