Friday, November 25

Movie Review: Breaking Dawn

Length: 117 mins
Released: November 18, 2011 (USA)
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Action, Drama
Rating: PG-13, disturbing images, violence, sexuality/partial nudity, and some "thematic elements"
Directed By: Bill Condon
Where I Got It: Seen it at the movie theaters with Anee.

This is part 1 of the fourth movie. It is based off the fourth book in Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. The story follows Bella and Edward as they head to the alter and tie the knot. There is some confrontation when the amazingly hot Jacob pops up and tries to convince Bella to NOT do the mcNasty with Mr. Edward Cullen. The story moves unto the lovers going to this private island for their honeymoon. After a while, Bella realizes that she's is pregnant with a vampire's baby *gasp* and this little "bundle of joy" is causing a lot of grief for not only her and her vampire family, but for the werewolves next door....

There are a lot of familiar faces in this one. Kristen Stewart (Panic Room, Cold Creek Manor) as the annoying Bella Swan/Cullen, Robert Pattinson (Harry Potter, Remember Me, Water For Elephants) as the vampirey Edward, Taylor Lautner (The Adventures of Shark-Boy and Lava Girl, Valentines Day) as the hottttttt werewolf Jacob, Booboo Stewart (The Conrad Boys) as the cute werewolf Seth, Chaske Spencer (Skins, Dreamkeeper) as the leader werewolf Sam. There are so many more that deserve to be noted. Click THIS to be transported to a list of the cast.

I've seen all the Twilight movies in theaters, but I have to wait A WHOLE ANOTHER year to see Part 2 of Breaking Dawn. Gah. I personally believe that they could have put the two together and make a pretty good movie. Oh well.

Anee and I really liked this movie. I felt it was worth the wait, but unlike 'Eclipse' I won't be going to back to the cinema to see it again...and again. I didn't like the book, so I'm not a huge fan of the movie either. I really don't like how Stephanie Meyer ended the series...I felt like she took the easy way out.

ANYWAYS, the layout of the story was well done and I believed that the dialogue was written well. I also loved how they put the story into a more open narrative, so that you can see more than what Bella sees. When Bella is knocked out, I loved how they allowed us to see whats going on and all the action that's taking place. It was like a fresh breath of air. I also LOVED the wedding scene and the reception. It was like the calm before the storm. I wish they would have given more face time to the new vamps that came to the wedding.

Ok...there was a lot I LOVED, but there is also a lot I wasn't too sure about. I thought that the visual effects in some parts were cheesy and quickly done. I liked the scene were the werewolves had that quick meeting, but I thought the voices were kind of funny and we couldn't stop giggling. In general, we were just giggling and   cracking jokes through the whole film...that's just how we are when watching movies. Even though I loved the honeymoon bit, I felt like the PG-13 rating was a little too lenient. I know that if I was 13, my parents WOULD NOT let me have seen this. I felt like they really played up the sexy parts and etc, I enjoyed them, but I don't think younger kids should be allowed to see those bits.

There was also a lack of action and at some bits I was a little bored. However, I couldn't keep my eyes off the screen, so it does catch your attention and holds it even with the boring parts. The thing I HATED the most was the ending. Really? That's what you're going to leave us with while we wait a whole year for the next film? Gah.

Overall, I liked this movie and I can't wait for the next movie, because I know I'll love that film much more than I did this one. I was glad when I found out Stephanie Meyer had more power over this film than the past films. I've been debating with myself with what to grant this movie; in the end, however, I'll stamp this with 4 stars. ^.^ I recommend this film to those who love the Twilight movies and those who love romance movies with action mixed in.  

Would I Watch Again?:
Mmmmmm.....I'm not sure on this one...if someone else wanted to watch it...sure...but on my own? Probably not.

Favorite Character(s): Jacob (MUST I explain?), Seth (a cutey-pie and Anee said that, "Carole, that would be you" thanks), and Emmett (^.^)
Not-so Favorite Character(s): Bella (annoying girl), Sam (I usually love him, but in 'Breaking Dawn' he's a little bit of a butt), and Edward (annoying guy. He and Bella deserve each other)
Photobucket
=============================
<3CaroleRae



4 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

The ending of this book sucked so much, I mean come one. She built up for a huge battle and then just bleh

Carole Rae said...

Gah, I know right? I didn't like the book or the ending...it was so anti-climatic and just...not AT all how I would've ended it.

Jade said...

I see you're a fellow Jacob lover. I did a whole three posts about my love for that kid. Anyway, I think this movie was the most visually appealing and the most well made of the four. As for the actual story, when reading, the only part I really enjoyed was the section from Jacob's POV. I was a bit miffed at the author for making him imprint on that baby. After all Jake had been through, he deserved so much better than that. And besides it's just kind of weird.

I kind of figured that's where they would end the movie. But I agree they could have done both parts in one movie and just made it longer. If people would sit through LOTR and Titanic by the droves, Twilight fans would go and see a three/four hour BD.

Carole Rae said...

Jade, yayy! Another Jacob lover! Yes, I was VERY miffed on how Stephanie Meyer had Jacob imprint on the baby. I mean...really? There was no better way to make the story more interesting? I pretty much guessed that was going to be the solution of the love triangle. I would have sat through the three/four hour movie, but now we ALL have to wait another year. Gah.